Monday, October 6, 2008

The Involuntariness of Love

I want to make mention an aspect (or the very essence rather) of love that boggles my mind and brings about a certain involuntariness. In the journey of what the wise and young call 'love' I've finally caught the glimpse. I've experienced a taste of this outpouring of love. I now seem to understand that it is more than just a roll of emotion felt somewhere between the mind and chest, it is rather inexpressible and unexplainable-it just...is. I'm sure we've all experienced the roll at some point in our life (as we, naturally, are beings of relationality). But what is it? What is this thing of love?

I will never be able to explain how and why I can't help but love someone-it's a rather reassuring fact. I've been the pizza eating bum watching this area of my own life unfold in a screen of existence with a person I call 'Life'. (Greek is such a handy language). Something in me longs to see the object of my love live in perfect happiness and satisfaction and I will do everything in my power to fulfill this. The desire to take a bullet even before the thought of 'Life' encountering harm is the part that I can't logically understand. It's quickly starting to move into the area of the unknown-the area in which I've finally accepted that God is in. All I know is that this love comes from the God who is love.

My desire is to become so transformed by God's own love that I no longer think about how to love someone or specific ways to love them. I pray He invades my life and the many areas that demand no entrance and fills me with natural love, involuntary love.

He wants me and everyone else in existence to show this kind of love not to a sole specific person, but equally to everyone. If it is indeed involuntary then how could I choose who to love. The very fact of this love coming about is my initial choice to love at all costs-to love with no specifics. It's all a matter of how much I am willing to love God in that very way. It starts with Him.

I long!

No comments: